It is a colorless gas with a pungent odor, consisting of three oxygen atoms, found in the gaseous state in nature. It is a very powerful disinfectant, antimicrobial, immune system regulator and antioxidant.
Ozone Theraphy History
It was discovered in 1840 by the Austrian chemist Christian Schönbein. Ozone therapy was used in gangrene and similar serious injuries of German soldiers in World War I.
In 1995, the US Department of Health approved ozone therapy as a complementary medicine practice. Afterwards, clinical and academic studies increased rapidly and ozone therapy started to be applied widely in the medical field all over the world.
Ozone therapy has been accepted as a complementary medicine application in Turkey with the regulation numbered 29158 published in the Official Gazette dated October 27, 2014.
In order to apply medical ozone therapy, an ozone-oxygen mixture is obtained from pure oxygen with the help of a generator.
Ozone Therapy Benefits
- As an antibiotic, it is effective on bacteria, viruses and fungi. Influenza, Sars, Mers,
- Covid-19 are the most current viral diseases.
- It regulates the immune system, strengthens the autoimmune system and helps in treatment.
- It accelerates metabolism.
- Regulates circulation, an important supportive treatment in the treatment of coagulation disorders,
- Increases the body’s oxygen capacity, allows all cells to function better
- It treats pain in muscle tissues.
- Regulates reproductive system functions.
How is Ozone Therapy Applied?
- Blood Application (Major Application): The blood taken with a special silicone set during the procedure is ozonated and re-administered through the same vein. The therapeutic effects begin with the ingestion of ozone, which interacts with blood cells. The same process is repeated in each session.
- Rectal Application: It is the direct application of ozone gas from the rectal area through a special silicone cannula such as suppository applications. The intestines also regulate the digestive system functions by ensuring the proliferation of beneficial bacteria and the reduction of harmful bacteria. From here, ozone, which is added to the liver and the main circulation, shows its effect as in the blood application. It can be used safely in people, infants and children whose vascular access cannot be established. Its effectiveness is equivalent to administration with blood.
- Ozone Vaccine Application (Minor Application): 2-5 ml of ozonized blood, which is ozonated in a special ozone-resistant injector, is injected into the muscle. It strengthens the immune system and is used as a protector in winter.
- Intra-knee Ozone Application: With the application of ozone into the joint in meniscus, knee calcification, osteoarthritis and chronic knee pain, knee pain is reduced.
Local Ozone Application: It is used with microneedles in cases of muscle pain, low back pain, neck pain and for regional slimming.
What should be the number of sessions?
The number of ozone treatment sessions and the ozone to be applied; The dose is decided by the physician depending on the age, general condition and disease of the patient. Ozone therapy is generally recommended to be done 1-3 times a week.
8-15 sessions are recommended for recovery. After the first 4 sessions, an increase in sleep and a repair phase in the body begins, after the 8th session, the antioxidant defense mechanism is activated and the person feels more energetic.
The effectiveness of the treatment
Diseases with high success when Ozone Therapy is applied alone.
- It can also be applied as a support to modern treatment.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.
infectious diseases; Influenza, Sars, Mers, Covid-19, hepatitis, HIV, herpetic infections and herpes zoster, papillomavirus infections, onychomycosis and candida infections etc.
- Osteomyelitis, pleural empyema, fistula and abscesses, infected wounds, bedsores, chronic ulcers, diabetic foot and burns.
- Advanced ischemic diseases.
- Age-related macular degeneration (atrophic form)
- Localized osteoarthrosis.
- In primary tooth root caries, especially in children.
- Recurrent or chronic infections of the oral cavity
- Bartholin and vaginal candida infections
- Especially antibiotic and chemical resistant bacteria, viruses and fungi Acute and chronic
Diseases with surprising results when Ozone Therapy is applied.
Cancer-related fatigue. The available data have shown that ozone therapy is effective in increasing cancer-related fatigue and quality of life, and in reducing the side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy in the body. There is not enough data about its use in cancer treatment yet.
Although asthma is multifactorial, there are patients with very good results, but there are also those with poor results.
Diseases with increased success when used as a support for modern treatment
- Autoimmune diseases (multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, crohn, colitis ulcerosa, psoriasis)
- Senile dementia
- Pulmonary diseases (COPD, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)
- Skin disease (psoriasis, atopic dermatitis)
- Metastatic cancer
Who is Ozone Therapy Not Applied to?
Ozone is a safe and natural treatment method. It has almost no side effects when applied correctly. Ozone therapy is not recommended in the following cases:
- Favism (G6PD enzyme deficiency) – Broad Bean Allergy
- In the period of thyrotoxicosis (Excessive Thyroid hormone elevation)
- In patients with advanced anemia, bleeding and coagulation disorders
- In chronic and recurrent pancreatic inflammations
- Newly developed heart attacks and brain hemorrhages
Are there any side effects of ozone therapy?
Ozone gas is toxic if inhaled directly. May irritate eyes and respiratory tract. For this reason, care is taken not to be present in the environment.